Skip to main content

My grandfather, Richard Steinhardt, was a gourmet.


Plateau de fruit de mer at Le Dome


My grandfather, Richard Steinhardt, was a gourmet. Before the war he used to make special trips, even crossing borders to try recipes from restaurants he had heard about. His father was the foreign editor of a national daily in Vienna and you can see him on the steps in the famous picture of the Archduke Ferdinand who is in his silly hat and about to be assassinated.

My great grandfather, used to go out into the Vienna like a "Grand Seigneur" and occasionally leave his little family at home to fend for themselves, while he had to meet and chat with luminaries. He must have met a lot of interesting people and had some influence. Vienna between the wars was the centre of Europe together with Paris. In winter my grandfather remembered him going out into the night, sophisticated and lordly, wrapped in rich furs, leaving them at home to enjoy dumplings and stews. Some people say my great grandfather didn't share his lustre.

Grandpa so longed, himself, to be the "Grand Seigneur" He married a beautiful young German girl, and they went to live in Paris. My grandmother describes Paris between the Wars as "heaven on Earth." Not quite the City of "Down and Out in Paris and London". When Grandpa Richard came back from his business, he would describe, in minute detail, all the dishes he had tried and my grandmother had the task of reconstructing them.

Heini tells this story:

"When I came to Paris to visit Lisa and Richard and see little Eve, it was 1937, Richard met me at the station and he asked me with a smile. Are you hungry? Would you like something to eat. And I said yes, thank you and he took me to a little restaurant that he knew near the station. It was very small, but it was fashionable, you see and so Richard took me there. The only table available had a pillar coming out of the middle of it and so in order to converse we had to lean to one side.

"The restaurant was famous for its hors d'oeuvres and so Richard ordered all 40 of them. And I had to try each one. And he asked me what I though of each one. By the end I was exhausted and full. I couldn't eat another thing. But Richard went on to order the two main courses.

"Your grandfather loved food and as he was travelling all over Europe for his company, as far as Russia, he knew where all the good restaurants were. Sometimes he made a special trip to another country to try a restaurant that had had a good review and that people were talking about."

Granny did and she became a great cook. We visited them in Paris in '67 and and when we finally left Africa and came to England in 1969, we spent Christmas with them in Meudon. Granny Lisa prepared wonderful Christmas diners for us: roast goose stuffed with chestnuts, red cabbage, beautiful deserts: It was colourful, fragrant food with ingredients we never saw in the UK. My grandfather would take my parents to restaurants and very, very occasionally we would join them. There was so much more rigmarole about going to a restaurant in France. If the food was worthy my grandfather would complement the waiter charmingly and sometimes ask to speak to the cook. If it wasn't then dark clouds gathered.

In 1974, when I was fourteen they lived in the South of France. I was in boarding school in the north of England. My grandfather decided he would complement the rather poor education I was getting in Teeside with trips to all the good restaurants along the coastline, from Vingtmille to St. Tropez.

He used to love to go early in the market in Cannes to buy fresh prducts from the stalls. He really got a kick out of it. Once he said with a smile "Try this" and he gave me a large heavy peach. "Lean over the balcony." he said. When I bit into it the juice just ran dripping down my chin. "Is it nice?", he said smiling. He got a real enjoyment out of watching other people enjoy food.

There was a civility and charm to his way of enjoying food that I never see nowadays. Not at home, not in restaurants.

We never had Bouillabaisse in these restaurants, we always started with "Soup de Poisson." A lovely ritual. Scrape the garlic onto the dry stale bread. Sit the bread in the soup plate, put the rouille onto the bread, sprinkle over the Gruyere and then ladle on the soup. The soup melted the cheese. To be eaten with good Rose wine. I articulated his philosophy of cooking to him one day.

-"It is easy to make a good dish with expensive ingredients, but only a good cook can make a good dish from simple ingredients."

I said it, but when I did it was almost like a pupil repeating something back to a teacher. "So, grandpa, what you have been trying to say to me is this...Yes?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-