Skip to main content

Last letter from dad

My darlings

Just over a week until I see you all - yippee! Hoping to land on a Virgin from Johannesburg on 12th or 13th December morning - (I will not be there for the Dean Street pub meeting - but Andy and/or Chris, do go with Phil, just to keep him company, it is an amazing happening, however you look at it!!!.

I'm not going via Cape Town after all for two reasons. My booking was on Nationwide Airlines, now grounded by the local CAA, and Chris will be in Moscow instead of coming to Cape Town. But the sooner I see you all, the better. (I'll look foward to seeing CT family and friends early next year). Dale will arrive for his 2/3 days intense briefing about running the house, then I'll get on a City Bug to Jhb.

I am generally feeling okay, no longer constantly a bit stunned, and keeping manically busy all the time... though activity helps, talking to you all, and outings with friends. Of course there are those desolate times when I look up and my darling just isn't there - and that will always be. But I like to think she is within me.

I talk to her on the screensaver photo, wherever her picture is. I am starting to sleep better, and getting things arranged...

In the lovely weather, enough rain to keep the extreme heat away, I am swimming every afternoon - eight lengths, wow! The garden is in to yet another kaleidoscope, the white daisies sitting up, the bright yellow frangipani, almost 20 roses blossoming at the back. In the house, there are still a few vases with the leftovers of mom/granny's huge bouquets that filled the house. I even have to pick up yet another tomorrow, from Giuliana in Sweden. That serene smiling photo is now big and framed in the dining room, opposite my portrait. (I'm bringing a small album, couldn't do digital).

Politics...

I was so bucked that Chris and Lucy went to the Latin America meeting - I even took a poster of it off the internet. I think it was overweening of Chavez to ask for unlimited terms of office, he shouldn't have, and now has been set back - but a really good leader like him should be votable in for three or four terms. I hope Putin will find a way to carry on for at least another term. He is the best man for the job by far, and still needed. Why should 'the West' rule that only two terms is democratic. Cheeky hypocrites...I am rather glad that I will NOT be in SA for the ANC party elections. I enjoyed your positive reactions to my piece on Thabo, Chris and others (others here have also liked it).

By the way, you may spy a copy of Mark Gevisser's now celebrated new biog of Thabo even in your London bookstores. If so, leaf through to page 137 and read the bit about the Hall's Norwood commune back in 1961.

My London programme will be quite busy. Rising from my comfortable grandpa bed in Teddington, in Surbiton, in Greenwich, I am going to visit every school, even join their journeys to school and embarass each of my grandchildren by hanging about and watching; every workplace, and every rave-place. I am going to check on Carmen on guitar, Chicks on keyboard, Bobby on drums - now there's a trio for you! As a pre-diabetic, I am going to take tips from Ali's diet and routines - but not try to keep up with her exercise. I will watch with Myles, one whole game with Arsenal. I will drag Jess, Lucy, Nats, Betty and anyone else who doesn't escape in time, to see and listen to whole orchestras, walk through miles of art galleries, catch some real theatre...

So watch out, here comes grandpa!! And, I am going to attend many auctions and see what we are bid for our treasures, with some of you sometimes, I hope.

In Golfe, while the transfer of inheritance has to be gone through yet again, I want to do go down and do a practice nesting in January, if only for a week, because I would like to make it my main base for at least one year, from March 08 to March 09 (with a few short visits to the cottage at Matumi, while Justin and Sharon live in the main house).

The reason for that is that A). I would like to widely, but in modest fashion, explore many parts of France and Italy, and Spain, with you where possible, and B). Make sure that each of you, in twos or threes or whole families, comes down to stay in Golfe for holiday periods, while I am there.

Then, by mid or late 09, you each and all may move into a different plan with regard to the Golfe flat.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots and lots and lots of love,

DTG xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-