Skip to main content

A letter from Sherry McLean

Dearest Phil, Andy, Chris and families,

I am finding it hard to find the words that express the range of feelings of loss and deep sadness that I feel for you all and those of us who loved Tony and Eve so much. To lose Tony so soon is unfair and my heart goes out to you all.

I cannot talk about Tony without talking about the two of them.. Like others I have had the privilege of becoming close to your parents and grandparents especially over the last ten years since they came to live in the beautiful paradise of Matumi. They knew and loved Marius well since the early days of the struggle both politically and socially raising young families. Jane, Marius’ first daughter and you Phil, would be about the same age and were babies at the time.

I first met Tony by chance in 1986 at Dar es Salaam airport with Marius and after great slaps on the back as they hadn’t seen one another for about 20 years, we then traveled together on an Aeroflot flight to Mogadishu (or Mog as they used to call it) sharing a bottle of whiskey and stories en route. Then it was in 1992 shortly after Marius came home, when Fritz and I came to live in South Africa, that Eve and I first met in the Malvern house, and we instantly recognized one another as like minded women, conspiratorial as confused Pisceans!

After Marius died on 7th Feb in 1999 (which I did not know is also coincidentally Eve and To’s anniversary as well as Tony’s memorial day), Eve and Tony played a major part in my life as they represented both the connection between his past and my healing, offering me kindness, strength, love, support and strong friendship. I have many rich Matumi memories of joint birthday celebrations, lots of giggles, cooking together, picnics by the river and peaceful times sitting and reading together and these will be lasting. Debate was engaging and ‘hot’ at times – “bloody liberal feminists!” Tony would say if Eve and I tried to discuss the “JZ” rape trial issue.

We all watched as they both courageously struggled with Eve’s cancer in the last years, Tony never leaving Eve’s side, ever watchful of her emotional and physical needs. Also as we well know observing their relationship was both humbling and inspiring as it was vibrant, intellectually stimulating, yet always with a deep commitment and connection to truth, respect, consideration and deep love for one another. And look at what they produced - such wonderful special men having chosen beautiful strong partners and absolutely stunning, proud making children – you are a credit to them both and you don’t need me to tell you how much you were all loved by them either!

I will miss them both very much and they will leave a huge gap in my life, as I have been touched and enriched by two remarkable people. As well as Eve and Tony, Matumi to me also means getting to know Nomsa, Gazani and Bonani, whom I salute in their steadfast humanness, kindness and support and I will miss them also.

Be strong, support one another and have courage in the coming months as I am sure you will,

Much love to you all and see you tomorrow,

Sherry x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-