Skip to main content

Janet Suzman's memories of mom as a schoolgirl

Dear Philip,

Your Mom and I became best friends at Kingsmead - having been thrown together by our respective mothers when she first arrived at Junior School. I don't think we actually hated each other on sight when we were small, which often happens when parents want you to be friends, but we certainly became good pals by the Senior School. I don't actually remember her parents all that well. My mother was quite friendly with them I think; as war refugees the Jewish community took good care of them.

At school, our main drawback was that we both enjoyed talking and flouting petty rules, and consequently spent our senior years being punished for indulging in both a little too readily.

There was a system of "Preps" - each level of which would confer greater privileges on those who rose in the ranks from Junior to Middle to Senior Preparation. These elevations coincided more or less with your rise from class to class, finishing at Matric level, where if you were not a prefect or sub-prefect you were certainly in Senior Prep.

Eve, however stayed resolutely down in Junior Prep for about three years, and I was twice demoted from Middle to Junior for bad behaviour, and so would meet my best friend after school more often than would otherwise have been expected. This wilful failure to conform cemented our camaraderie no end.

We also, I remember, one day rode round the out-of-bounds Rosebank shops on our bikes with our hated brown stocking rolled down to the ankle and our suspender belts (that dates us!) tied flagrantly round the handlebars. Seen, reported, and duly punished of course. We were the 'bad' girls, so bad that I even confess to doing a bit of cheating at an exam or two.

Eve was alphabetically placed a seat ahead of me being 'St' while I was 'Su' - which made it possible to quietly roll marbles wrapped in paper to and fro on the floor with answers to maths questions hastily scribbled thereupon. Just pretend you had dropped your pen or rubber and bend down and hey presto! Cool, we thought it. Sorry, dear children, to cast aspersions on a Mother above reproach in all other respects; its just that maths was not one of our strong points.

At Wits we were less joined at the hip, as she fell in love with your Dad and was thus entirely taken up with him and their political activities. I thought it was very advanced to commit to a chap so early on in life, but it proved to be the most enduring of marriages and they were, as you know, entirely of a mind. A real love story.

It was only in later life, over these last 10 or 15 years I suppose, that Eve and I became friends again, but sadly only pen-friends because of their move to Matumi which was rather out of the way for an intermittent visitor like me. She and To always asked me to come and visit but I could never quite make it.

We did meet up at that Old Girls meeting in Jo'burg you mention, and I was thrilled to see her again amongst the many other unfamiliar yet familiar faces of our school contemporaries. I would always have had more to say to Eve than to most because our political colours matched so closely, and we also shared a sense of anarchy and humour.

Oh, and by the way, her nom de guerre at school was, predictably, 'Evil.' As inapt as a very tall person being dubbed Shorty. She was, I need hardly add, good all through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-