Skip to main content

From Eikenhoff to Langata

From Eikenhoff to Langata

We drove in our Fiat 100 to Jan Smuts airport and waved goodbye to dad from the roof.

He left on a large BOAC jet with a dark stripe along its side. There was a strange period of hiatus. Dad had left us dependent on the bounty of John and Nola. Mom and the three of us now lived at the Lido breathing the miasma of their disapproval. Although I was very young, I could sense the curtness, the coldness in their treatment of my mother.

Mom's response was to be tense and uncomfortable. Her experience in jail had been traumatic for her, the denouement of her childhood fears of capture which she had, in her intelligence, anticipated. But now, after her release, and after the balm of reunion, mom was without dad and fragile. There was little respite. What there was, were rooms in a hotel and meals.

Mom travelled back and forth from Jo’burg saying goodbye to friends. We children stayed at the hotel. The twins were two and carefully supervised. But occasionally I was able to wander free on my own. I see corridors and flights of red carpeted stairs, a long breakfast gallery with raffia furniture. Outside, the huge freshwater pool where my and arms looked yellow in the water and my feet slipped on algae.

When we said goodbye we were dressed up smartly in new clothes and given a present each. My brothers clutched teddy bears. I was feeling grateful that we were leaving. Feeling emotions more than thinking. I felt love and solidarity with my mother and brothers; and I if I was thinking I thought "Good riddance." "Good riddance to this place". We were following dad, going on to be with dad. We were coming out of the coldness of the white South African regard into something else.

It wasn’t a valedictory farewell. The family saw us off, not our friends. Mom was tense, anticipating the journey and to me she had finally dismissed, it was obvious in the way she spoke, her parents in-laws as trustworthy, moral people.

I can’t remember the flight itself, but I remember the drive to Langata. Dad met us at Nairobi airport, a sweet little airport whose memory I hold like a treasure in my palm. He came in a white Volkswagen Beetle (KGB 164).

After a tearful greeting for him from mom and a long embrace, we received our own great bearded hugs from dad and the set off together for our new home. We came to Nairobi, drove past it. Now we were driving away from town, not towards it; out past Wilson airport. Small Pipers and Cessna's landed near the fence and took off further away from it.

Finally, Dad turned the Beetle to the left onto a dirt track and we clattered past a small quarry, down along a red earthed road - bright grass growing between tyre tracks brushing the undeside of the chassis with a hiss. We drove into a forest dominated by tall trunked blue gums. Running towards us was a large strong Alsatian dog. Dad accelerated down the track and the dog kept up with us with ease. Laughing we came into a clearing in the forest and came to the side of our house. The dog was ours. He was called Whizzy.

Our Langata house was built on stilts of bark covered logs. It had square white windows. Dad took us round to the front with the dog. Whizzy, licked us and barked and there, with a backdrop of trees, was a manicured lawn, trimmed bushes and flower beds.

Beyond this log cabin and its tidy garden, surrounded by blue-gums, we and our neighbours were close to the Kenyan bush.

Comments

  1. Write the whole book like this, Phil, and you'll have at least one reader who will put off all appointments, cancel all engagements, until after the last page ... Of the many absorbing, completely satisfying segments I've read so far, this is my favourite -- lyrical, yes, but also real and believable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wordy. Good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-