Skip to main content

Hall's Commonsense Way to Health and Good Life

Picture: Matumi 2003

Tony Hall, Addis Ababa, February 1995


A dedication

"I call it a Hall's and not Tony Hall's way because - while I take responsibility for any of its foibles and bloomers, I owe much to other members of the Hall family (and here I won't go into grandparents, and to all the aunts and uncles and cousins who've made for a rich and full family life).

Most of all, to my father John I owe some of the traits and eccentricities I am particularly pleased to share, with him and my brothers, David, Micheal and John, in their different and special ways:

  • Enthusiasm for healthy eating

  • Healthy scepticism about the mystifications of the medical profession (though let me add a note of sympathy for those hard -pressed GPs whose patients want them - force them, on pain of everlasting scorn - to act as know it alls),

  • Faith in common sense and a try-anything approach as guidelines to physical life, and to the world around us.

  • "Moderation in all things.", my father used to say - except moderation, say I, (and I think he would have approved of that rider).

"To my wife Eve, lover, companion and friend of my entire adult life, I owe decades of good example in practice, of the sensible, healthy and fine eating which my father preached. She has also brought to my life and shared with me, the other things it would be hard to be healthy without.: good friends, ideals and dreams, a sense of humour and a delight in celebrating, moving around in, and trying out the intellectual variety of the whole wide world.

"She's been a Hall - a Mrs and a Ms Hall - for almost 40 years, not to mention being a Ms Steinhardt, during the first years she was coming back into her own full identity, after years of primary motherhood and secondary working life. And back to being a Ms Hall again, as she did come more and more completely into her own.

"To her and what we made together, our three sons, Philip, Andrew and Christopher, and their families, I owe the greatest life affirmation of all - in the extraordinary open lovingness of all three, in their beauty, vitality and sense of physical and intellectual adventure, in their chosen wives, Teresa, Kate and Anne, and in the eight wondrous individuals - Natalie, Lucy, Juan Antonio, Myles, Betty, Carmen, Jessica and....[Eve and Bobby Ed.] - that are our grandchildren.

"Not to let you get away without a word about three important women, all beauties, two Halls-by-marriage and a Steinhardt-by-marriage. It is actually the last one, my mother-in-law, Lisa, who has been the most enduring matriarchal influence on our large immediate family. Still a beauty, spry in her mid eighties - not a Hall, she is the living example, against many odds, of the way to health and goodlife - common sense, hard work, good eating, exercise, an openly loving nature, game for a laugh, a zest for life, and not too much moderation in some things.

"Nola, my stepmother, also practiced, with zest and efficiency through most of her life, the healthy lifestyle her husband mostly preached. And they shared and practised with great originality, a capacity for hard work and an appetite for life and adventure.

"My mother Betty. ..she produced my other brother Geoff and my beautiful and loving sister, Joan Mary. What a celebration each of their lives seem to me, after such a difficult start, materially and emotionally.

"My mother also expressed, out of all my forebears, the most unbounded and unconditional love, of the kind that made me feel good about myself as a child, even at those times when there seemed no reason to. She gave me, willy, nilly, something else on the dark side, an awareness of how far people could in how they handled each other emotionally. And so, on the flip side, a kind of vinegary social streetwisdom, to counter the emotional saccharine that might be drip fed elsewhere. So my close brother Micheal, and I, got from her a taste for flippancy, for impropriety.

"I remember how, with a gin in her hand - in later years a cane spirit and luke warm water (yeugh) - saying in a throwaway line of hard Gablese:

"Frankly m' dear, I don't give a damn... "

And then replying as Vivien Leigh:

"I'll cry tomorrow..."

"So as Mike and I might remind each other, in the words of Peter Cook - in those grave moments which call for a balanced, sober word on behalf of a decent cause, like threatened minorities:

"Whales - what did they ever do for us? Where was they during the Blitz, when we was being bombed? Tell me that!

Have you ever heard of a whale making it into the Top Ten? Fucking useless whales - can't even breave under water...
"

Cheers Mum! Your good health everyone."

Tony Hall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-