Skip to main content

Filipino Pool Hall prince


Efren Bata Reyes: The King of pool

Pool is very popular in the Philippines and the top player in the world at the moment is a Filipino called Efren “Bata” Reyes.

Well, when I was 8 or 9 when I started playing pool. My cousin played pool and after school he used to come into school to pick me up and take me to a place we called St. Elizabeth.

At first I just watched him and his friends and then one day he let me try and I got interested. I’ve been spellbound by pool since that day. We always played pool after school - 4 or 5 times a week. He taught me to play. He started to teach me from the the first moment he saw me pick up a pool cue because he could see that I had talent. He helped me to build and improve my game.

In my country there are lots of places you can play pool on the streets under the awnings of street stores. And you can play in bars and malls. The best place to play pool is in a bar because the pool table is better than the table in the street. In the street the people are careless with the table and the baize is sometimes ripped up by clumsy show offs. But it's expensive playing in bars I felt guilty. The money was meant for school: for stationary and textbooks.

But I realised I was really good when was 10 or 11 and I started beating pool players 8 or ten years older. I started playing for money. When people bet in the Filipino pool hall it is crowded. There are men of all ages and there are no women. After the game the men sometimes get into fights.

The only dream that I have had since I was a kid is to be a player in world cup pool tournament. I am going to give it a shot this year. Now I am in London I am going to enter the London Pool Tournament. The top prize money is £200,000.

By "Chubsz" T- Bone Bonifacio

Comments

  1. good luck to you,,

    i have seen many great matches/tournaments with Efren and understand the cultural significance of pool competion,,

    my memory is not so good these days but i seem to remember a lot of good competition between Efren and a chinese guy called Fong Pang Chow,,very enjoyable battles to watch,,
    i even had my kids (canadian) interested in watching,,(mid nineties)
    last time i was watching Corey Deuel was the new name

    once again,,good luck to you Chubsz,,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-