Skip to main content

Brighton, Sunday evening, July 1977

Darling Andy and Chris,

I've just finished the letter to Granny and Grandpa, and no its your turn. Dad is downstairs, sorting out papers while he watches the telly, and I am sitting in your study room, my papers spread out all over your table. It's a lot more comfortable than mine! Though the blank white wall on the other side of the window is a bit dreary....still nothing to take away concentration.

I suppose Martin and Nicky slept in your beds. Martin (who's about 6 months younger than you, I think) is almost as tall as Felicity, so suffered from your problem in the bed! Luckily, he said, he sleeps curled up. Patrick is sweet, has a sunny personality (if that doesn't sound too pukey). Martin's sports mad. Dad says he told him he wanted to be a professional golfer - yet another in the Hall family!

Felicity
isn't any different from last year, obviously her usual pleasant self - and David now has a bushy beard and didn't wear any particularly startling clothes, even if they were a bit unusual - but that tends to blend in with the scenery in England, where it might not so much in France. Anyway, you'll meet them all and make your own assessments.

I'm looking forward to hearing what your impressions of your California family are. We took them for a walk down to the Pier, actually the first time I've ever been on it, would you believe it! It's warmed up a bit, so the walk was pleasant and the sea even looked quite inviting. Dad fetched them from Gatwick, but only took them to the station this morning. They'll be back here for four days on the 22nd.

Phil got off okey yesterday, must be in Yugoslavia by now -- I wonder where?! He obviously had a good time with the Benjamins and got on swimmingly with Rudi. He and Rudi hitched up to London on Friday and met Sunil. All three descended on poor Paula! And then all three went and stayed at Shushi's for the night. We phoned Phil at Paula's, and he sounded in good form.

Did you and Granny and Grandpa speak to him at Shushi's I wonder,? This morning a telegram arrived (via Hannover Terrace, which is why it took three days) from Natasha and Anandi - he's obviously going to get a warm reception there, because all it said was: "Come Love" ! He'll die of embarrassment when he finds out we opened it...or will he? We had to open it because it was addressed to "Hall" - and one doesn't leave a cable lying unopened, anyway! Sunil on the phone said they had decided to embrace punk personalities...The only hitch was Phil leaving his guitar behind at the Benjamins, which is a pity.

Otherwise, not much news. The end of my thesis is in sight, I've got the first, very rough draft of my last chapter done, and hope to have it in good shape by the time Pepe comes on Wednesday. We got a phone call from the Maxwells - they're near Brighton, Cathy is six months pregnant with their second baby, and Simon has got a job for a few months with IDS - so we are going to go there for dinner on Monday evening.

Ilanagh is going to Dar via Nairobi next week, she's finished her thesis - and Phil (I mean Phil Raikes) will be looking after Ben and Toby for a while. If you'd been around you could probably have made a bit of money babysitting them - or is that too much like hard work? Incidentally, I looked out of our bedroom window last night, at about 2 a.m. and there was Mr Mac and his wife cleaning the launderette out - I guess they're missing you! People still knock on the door for help, even though the notices are down - but I turn them away without a twinge of conscience!

It's 11 o'clock and I think I'll go to bed - or watch a bit of t.v. with Dad maybe. Look after yourselves, darlings, and enjoy it all. I'm sure you're having a lovely time - how's the sea..the sun..the sand? To say nothing of Granny and Grandpa's cooking! Think of me as you eat the croissants and of Dad when you eat fish, okey? Oodles of love for you both, from both of us.

Mom xxxxxx



P.T.O for me...


Dearest Andy and Chris,

I've been lounging in front of the box with my mouth open all day since seeing David and Felicity and the boys, changing channels at an even faster rate than you two! We have put in so much food in stock for the visitors we have enough for almost a week without shopping....I'm having a good rest, but beginning to miss you already. When Mom finishes her thesis - and she is doing very well so it won't be long now, I think we'll often go out for walks and things or the house will get too quiet.

David and family are in good form. We had a pleasant 24 hours with them - Martin and Patrick obviously a bit sorry to miss you -- I suggested to David that you two spend at least a day with them on the boat: They are joining Dad and Nola at la Grande Motte tomorrow, then sailing slowly eastwards, to Nice buy around 17th or 18th (I think). So a day or two before that they will probably stop of at Golfe Juan and join Granny and Grandpa for a meal or something. I have suggested that they take you on board for a day or so, for a part of the final cruise to Nice. This will give you a chance to get acquainted with your cousins, however briefly, Anyway; that's my suggestion - no doubt the older generation will work something out. I trust you are having a good time - I'm sure you are. We'll be wanting to hear your voices on the phone sometime this week, so stand by. Enjoy yourselves.

Lots of love,

Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-