Skip to main content
It was about 6 oclock in the evening, the sun was still up shining through the skies, which made funny shapes every now and then. My mum was glancing through the windows, giving me a thumbs up sign. I looked around my and saw all of my cousins get into place. Bilal in the far corner crouched and ready to catch the ball, ali playing the part of the wicket keeper, My dad in the corner of the terrace with a video recorder. and mohammed who was about to bowl for me. There has never been a time, not even once, that I have managed to gain a hit to one of his throws. He had a smirk on his face, and a glass of mango juice in his hand, the ice cubes were still visible with a tinge of yellow mango juice on them. My brother came and stood next to me playing the part of the front man. Mohammed asked me “you ready” and I replied with a nod. You could see the plastic bat in my hand shaking, I tapped on the floor a couple of times and looked up, and gave an indication for Mohammed to bowl for me. He started to run, as fast as an antelope, and let the bowl fly through his hands, it felt like the bowl was travelling at the speed of light. The bowl bounced once and it changed direction to the right. It was heading for my brother. As hard as I could I swung the plastic bat round and hit something. I looked up in the sky to see if I can spot the ball, however the ball hit the wickets and instead I saw my brother on floor holding his face; laughing and crying at the same time. Everyone started to laugh at me, Mohammed was cracking up like a flower with soo much energy. My mum came out hurrying towards my brother and putting an ice pack on his face.
Everyday in the summer, my relitaves would come over to my house for about a month. We had a 7bedroom house with three of them being en suite, a nice big kitchen which was tiled neatrly into pentagons which made even more symmetric shapes. The lounge was big with a table which could fit about 16 people, however there were soo many people at our house that us children usually used to eat on the floor on the terries. Everyday about 6 oclock was the time where our house will be the only one with the most noise coming out of it. All the girls used to play badminton in the garden which was at the front of the house, and the boys playing cricket on the terries. All the toddlers were usually locked in a room where they were playing with their own toys. Our next door neighbours also had some guests over but they never made as much noise as we did.
At that time the best cricket player was called ”Shahid Afridi” Mohammed used to love him. As he was the best slugger and the best spin bowler in the Pakistani team. Every time mohammed bowled he would usually say “this is shahid afridi is comming and OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!” he got this line from one of the commentary he saw on the television. Everytime he said that it would distract me and in result me getting out.
Everyday seemed to be a day full of joy and excitement. Everyone had soo much energy in them, that you can never get tired. In the days we play cricket and badminton and at night we play board games and watch movies. Toy story was our favourite. If we cant get hold of a movie then “cartoon network” was our next best alternative.
Going to see Pakistan get beaten everyone leaves
It was mid June when Pakistan was playing Australia. We all went there, this includes the 7 families that came to stay over. We booked out two entire rows of the stadium. The stadium was massive the atmosphere was phenomenal , the two teams had been playing for the past 3 hours. We purposely missed the innings Australia played in. The sun was completely down and the flood lights were up. The Pakistani team was batting. The crowd were cheering like mad, holding up banners and posters. Some were directed to specific players others were general. About half way through to the Pakistani innings, we were loosing badly. The stadium had already started to clear. But we as true supporters stayed and supported till the last minute. Even though we lost tragically, we still kept our head high and walked out with pride.
In 2009 Pakistani cricket team lead by Inzimamul Haq, reached the finals. We were playing against one of the worlds best teams ever: Sri Lanka. They had a pretty strong team, with all of their top players in good shape. As a little present my dad bought us tickets to go to the finals and watch Pakistan play. The crowd was epic there, the atmosphere was building up by evey miniute that was going by. We could feel the adrenaline rush through our veins. My heat was pumping blood out like it mal functioned. And finally the two teams came out and greated each other. This time Pakistani team batted first. The opening throw was smacked to a flying six. This got the crowd
2020 cricket
Your cricketing career.
Last summer I played for a cricket team, we were loosing terrible, it almost looked like we had already lost. It was the last over and the opposition needed 6 more runs to win. They had 3 more playes that were still safe and could bat. There were no possibilities of my team winning. As I best bowler there I was asked to bowl the last over. All the pressure was on me. The hair on my back stood up. My team member chucked the ball over to me, to clean it and have it the way I like it. I felt the pressure from the growing number of crowds. I could hear chantings for the other team and specifically chantings from my parents to me. I could see my brother in distance waving at my and gicing me a thumbs up sign. I lined up for the run up. I waited for the bowler to indicate me of when to bowl. The batsman looked nervous looked up, adjusted his helmet, and nodded towards me. I started running. I could feel my legs pumping all that blood. I bowled the bowl and the batsman swung for a hughe six. However he missed timed his hit and instead the ball hit the stumps. The cheers came through my side. My parents were screeming encouraging words. My team captian came over and said try to do that again. I then lined up for my second throw. I could see the new batsman nervous yet again. He looked up at me and said to stop. He adjusted his gloves and then said : “go for it” I for the second time started to run as fast as I could with all the determination I had keeping my eyes focused on that middle wicket, and chucked it as fast as I could and tried to put some spin on it. The ball as it detached from my hand sped towards the wicket bounced on the floor and hit the bails on the wicket. The batsman was left dazzed of where the ball had gone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-