Skip to main content

Elephant meat for the refugees

From M.A. Hall
c/o SCC
Juba Sudan


Monday afternoon 1973(4)

Eve Hall,
Oxfam,
Box 40680,
Nairobi,
Kenya


My Sweetheart,

I'm sitting on a campbed - it feels luxurious! back at the SCC 'camp' in Juba. Got in a couple of hours ago after a really rough ride in a truck for four hours in all. I'd hoped to come yesterday but in the morning as I was all ready and packed when a group of men with a gun walked by the mission house carrying an elephant's tail (bracelets!).

The marksman was the local resettlement officer. He had shot an elephant in the bush a couple of miles away. A few minutes later all the workers went rushing past, some carrying spears, each with a newly sharpened knife - elephant meat! So we all joined them - tramped about 2 miles through 8ft high elephant grass, jumping through lines of flame. The bush is set on fire to clear it this time of year.

But the search was in vain, though I saw one live elephant a few hundred yards away. By the time we'd got back and rested it wasn't worth driving down to the road. Even if I'd found a lift it wouldn't have reached the Juba ferry by evening closing time.

The workers dashed off again and this time came back with tons of elephant meat slung on poles. And great feasting there was last night. I didn't try it. I managed to get the Norwegians to try sweet potatoes baked in ashes - a very spartan lot who manage to keep to an even less comfortable life than necessary - and that's saying something.

I had some weak tea and bread and jam and at 9 o'clock went to my hard bed - not so bruising this time, with mosquitoes dive bombing all night. Yet slept well all the same.

This morning off early down to the police post. A gathering of huts was all it was. While waiting for a lift joined them in Muslim-time late breakfast of sweetened rice.

The corporal stopped a large truck loaded with refugees returing from Uganda, and I hopped on. Stood the entire 4 hours, rough, but actually less cramping and dusty than a Land Rover drive. Not hot at all though the wind's given me a sore eye. Into Juba by about 4 after an hour's stop to offload some people at a a refugee centre.

It was fascinating to watch people who had been away for 5 - 10 years recognising places with a glad cry. We were quite a family by the end of the ride. It was free, then 15/ - for a taxi ride of about 4 miles! There's so much to tell you my darling. I hope there's a letter waiting for me at Juba Hotel or P.O. tomorrow.

I love you,

Your ever loving To.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-