Skip to main content

Equatorial Guinea and the Exxon Mobile vampire

Black Beach, Malabo

I was working near the British Museum, about 50 yards from it in fact. I worked there for about a year and a half on-and-off in 2002 and 3.

I would listen to the reflections of top scientists, millionaires, senior managers of European companies, politicians and sports people and, having understood what it was they did and thought and said and needed to do, I would have to help them explain themselves to themselves and others in English. It was fun. It was de luxe, personalised education - for me.

I had a few failures:

Once I had the top management of the oil company from a small little country in the nook of Africa: Equatorial Guinea. He sat in front of me with two body guards.

I am here, he explained, because Exxon Mobile has come to Equatorial Guinea and is extracting oil off shore and we don't know how much they take. We have no computer systems and we don't speak English. They take what they want and leave and we have no control. He looked upset. He was a large man - thoughtful and warty.

And we talked and I tried to put him at his ease. I spoke of the other Guinea, of Almicar Cabral and the PIAGC and he looked at me oddly. I mentioned how I admired Cabral's poetry and asked him what other languages he spoke. He Spoke Spanish. So did I. And I switched to Spanish and as I did so his eyes narrowed. I was loosing ground here.

Tell me more about your country, I said hastily.


Well we used to be friends with the Russians. 

Do you speak Russian? I asked him.

Yes. He said. Actually, I studied there. 

Where did you study? I asked him in Russian. I was there too?

He went stiff and silent. After a while he said.

Who are you?

And I realised what he thought and so I wanted to reassure him that I was not a plant and got myself into deeper water.

No. I said. And I explained who I was and why I spoke Russian and Spanish and why I knew who Almicar Cabral was and I burbled reassuringly, but he asked for a change of tutor anyway.

But I was left feeling very sorry for that man and his country. He seemed so helpless and flummoxed by everything. No computers, no English, just Exxon Mobile sucking at his country, unaccountable - leaving the coasts of Bioko and Malabo layered in crud.

One thing he said was that the government of the country was trying to find out more about just how much Exxon Mobile was extracting in order to tax them properly and that Exxon didn't like this.

So it was no surprise to me when I read about the attempted coup d'etat with Mark Thatcher and Simon Mann behind it and, though it didn't succeed I read the attendant articles primed, interestingly, for the moment of the attempted coup, in magazines like The Economist, about how 'awful and corrupt' the government of Equatorial Guinea was and how 'overdue' the country was for a change.

Maybe so, but nothing, of course, was said about the strong probability of Exxon Mobile's vampirism, or the coastal and chemical pollution or the backhanders the company paid government officials.

Why can I say all this without fear of repercussions? Why can any blogger?

I'll tell you. Because actually taking me on would give Exxon bad publicity. They rely on the fact that this blog and others will simply be ignored.

This is the way the world works!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-