Skip to main content

From Philip Owen, Heal and Oupa Ngobe

Philip Owen rode up to the post funeral party on his trail bike to give us the copies of the HEAL newsletter that dad had edited and put together. Phillip said they would be sorely missed and that they had really helped HEAL a lot. Mom had even drafted HEAL's constitution. However, Philip said, Heal would now have to get on with things without them. I expressed our appreciation for his words on behalf of the family and then he gave me a big hug, which I think it was really meant for my father, and he drove away on his bike again.

He handed me this kind letter from Oupa.

"On behalf of my soccer team and the community of Sudwala and Monkele I would like to send my condolences to the Hall family. We have lost a father figure. When I was told, on the day he died, I couldn't believe it. I said to Phillip Owen, the Chairman of HEAL, is big Daddy back, I want to visit him, but he is gone just like that.

Tony and Eve, they put South Africa and the Valley in the limelight. Every thing they did, they did efficiently. I really don't know how my team will be able to dress the same as they have done thanks to their help and Mike Haldenby's.

I hear that he died peacefully, in his bed covered by his blanket. Then I quietly thought that he was thinking of his beautiful wife. It showed me how much he loved his wife. Mr Tony Hall, may your soul rest in peace. Your spirit is amongst us at HEAL. Long live the spirit of Tony. Long live. Your memory will remain in our mind and in our hearts. You will be missed by your children and grandchildren, your friends, colleagues and the community and South Africa as a whole."

Oupa Ngobe

Sudwala United chairman, Community Forum co-ordinator and Dinosaur Park manager

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-