Skip to main content

Tony Hall writing to Eve Hall from Bombay in 1973

Dad writing from the Ascot Hotel in Bombey (Mumbai)


[Of course if I come across any things said that are too personal in Mom and Dad's letters or that may cause offence - very little of that - then I will not publish them on this blog. Of course these letters were written in confidence, not for publication, and I hope you will read them in that spirit.]



Ascot Hotel, Bombay
Friday night 7th
(or 6th? my watch is funny)

My Sweetheart,

The telex came not long after I posted your letter yesterday. I was more than half expecting the bloody thing, but that didn't make it any better. PJ [Oxfam's Philip Jackson] had a whole paragraph apologising and explaining why it is important but that didn't help either. If I wasn't so sure this assignment is good for our future the way it's working out, I'd blow the thing and come home for the feel and sight and sound of you. And every day is a day of Phil's holiday I'm missing.

Sometimes I really wonder about this boarding school lark but if he actually likes it and providing he goes on loving and relating to us, it's OK. I'm not looking forward to all three gone for long periods. Why Yorkshire? We'll never be able to set up house on the bloody Moors!

Sorry half the holiday is blown baby and sorry you've got all the weight of the noisy Now generation to bear alone. Next month we'll prevail on Sam and May [Gaiden] to take A and C [Andy and Chris] for a couple of days and we'll light out to a really beautiful place for round the clock peace and love. I really mean that. Start thinking of where - a milk run to Lamu?

The reason is that John Pilger of the Mirror is coming on 13th wants guiding through the drought areas for 3 days, up to 15th or 16th. When he telexed, Philip didn't know that Shwarz [Walter Shwarz] was here because later in the day I got a cable announcing "arrival of Shwarz Poona imminent"! Meanwhile, the guy was already bumping around in the Oxfam Landrover. Wonder what Shwarz thought of my note explaining that I wasn't a hard sell PR man?

Philip's telex also said that the Guardian is after all using an edited version of my piece. Good for me but dangerous for overall sweetness and light with Shwartz, because his line on the drought, from talking to him, is likely to be similar to my line in the Guardian piece and he may feel huffed at having to avoid duplication in his own paper, from his own parish. Which shows that even if you can score occasionally, it's not all roses for Oxfam...

I think it's pretty stupid of Africa not to use my Sudan piece, or some of it, and bloody rude of them not to acknowledge it. A piece in an Indian paper I picked up on the plane today writes delightedly that Sudan has opted for the "mixed economy" - Oh brother!

Thursday I spent writing, some letters and some nuts and bolts and doing 1001 logistical things. Comes along two Parsees, one a relation of Adis, who are helping me get Parekh's pix to London. Small world Snap again. The other guy says he has family friends: Nairobi - Philly Feroz and Vilu Narogy! Nearly fell over. Vilu was apparently in Bombay a few weeks ago. And this guys mother is leaving for Nairobi this week. He's managing director of a Bombay company called National Steel. Darayus Bathena, by name. I told him you had dinner with them a few days ago.

In the evening, John and Elizabeth Staley took Adi and I for a drink. They are both mensches, but so shyly English, like two trembling birds. He's efficient and strong in work, but hovers nervously over every little thing, so the scale of his operation is indeed too small, and too closely mothered.

Had a call from Julian Francis in Delhi, wanting to know my plans and movements. I think he'll be quite happy to guide me again in May if it comes to that - which incidentally I'll be happy if it doesn't. I've been no tourist. That's for you and I. Unless the Staley's suggestion, that I make Oxfam bring you over as well next time could be realized.

Darling, think it over!! Is there anywhere we could dump our tads for 2/3 weeks? If there could be then my father is fucking well going to pay, not Oxfam even. Hey love, do you think there is a way? You could in a number of ways and do an Afrique-Asie [a quality left wing international magazine published in French] as well.

This morning I was woken up at 8 - an incredibly late hour, by John who has asked me to go and address a local boys school about the drought. Fucking mad people. By 8.30 I was holding forth to the girls of St. Mary's at assembly. Bishops (my deah!) had finished their assembly, so we went across the road. Pix of European cathedrals line the school hall. None had ever seen Ajanta [?]. What a sad country this is. How fucked out by 1000s of years of their own caste system, followed by 100s of years of the British one.

Anyway, all is the same, but typical of John that he should waste my time (potentially, anyway) by asking me to do this type of publicity. I know Oxfam wouldn't function if it's people weren't turned on by this kind of activity (Nick Stacey) but it's never my scene.

Did you see the Guardian piece 10 days ago, about HLK [Director of Oxfam]retiring in 18 months, and the search for a successor. He should be 35-40. The piece quotes Kirkley as saying: "That cuts out the contenders like Stringer [?] and Jackson"... very publicly

Took a midnight flight to Bombay. My nostrils innured to stink, my sensibilities hardened to beggars, I swept into the centre of town to come upon this extremely pleasant hotel, only 50 rupees a day full board. The Y [YMCA] is still strike-bound, and apart from the filthy bathrooms it's hard to pass the picketing staff with raising your fist in a comradely gesture (sounds a bit off doesn't it - I should boycott eh place myself). This hotel has western food, nicely cooked and every appointment comfortable, and congenial taste, down to the plush office chair I'm sitting in

Before dinner tonight Kishor Parekh, whom I spent the afternoon chasing, walked in with the contacts. They're bloody good. An education in creativity with the lens and what can be done in less than a day. Confirms my impression that he's a super-pro and I think he's been worth the money. Interestingly, he insists on doing 10 blowups, no charges, because he feels, just as I do, that the photographer wherever possible should present his pix already enlarged to his office, or 9 times out of ten they will produce slowly and unimaginatively from his contacts.

From about 6 hours clicking we have a good minor exhibition on drought in the bag, perhaps even quite an important exhibition. And several shots which a certain to make one national newspaper or other.

I don't want you to get the impression I'm making a huge success of everything, Love, but I think it's been worth sending me here, and it'll help tip the balance in my favour, provided there are no flubs in the future.

Oxfam - provided you don't go around bucking its mores and don't show left of Julius N[yerere] is a never ending well of kindness and regard. Funny bunch. It can be stifling, even to me, but it's OK when one is on one's own based in Nairobi.

Tomorrow I'll be hopping around and phoning to lay on trips for John Pilger and get films off and try and meet some Indian pressmen. Sunday I'll spend in this air-conditioned room alternately sleeping and working, perhaps take in a movie. Monday I'll finish off tomorrow's gadding about; then off back to Poona for a final leg of touring - then HOME home, home home. And I don't care if I never set eyes on Poona again, unless you're gripping me firmly by the hand and ....[deleted].

Love to all our friends who've been looking after you, but especially to Inge and Finn [Nielsen]. Lots and lots of love to the boys. I stupidly sent Phil a post card to school. I'll write again to all of you on Sunday. Of course I'll cable my flight no. and time when I get confirmation of Pilger's dates.

Oh Love, I love you more and more all the time. Love me always like you do now.

Your own To.

PS Please see if there's any way you can be free to join me on my return, if they want me to come back.

Your To.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-