Skip to main content

Nielsens, Marcelino, Josiah, Somalia report, David, Ethiopian revolution and Mara on heat

March 3rd 1974 [Nairobi]

My Darling To,

Got your very welcome cable, yesterday, a nice warm one! I wonder where you are, Love, and whether your plans have altered at all; can't imaging that the BP team were able to arrive on time, and hope that doesn't mean you'll be home later than planned. Remember, you said March 16th?

Your Italian Princess dropped by on Wednesday evening (phased me rather by refusing to come in after I'd said you were still away but that I was your wife. "No, no, I just came to see Tony." She said. Ah well.) and on the off chance that you'd be in Addis (though I didn't think so, or you'd surely have phoned) I gave her a quicky for you. Am longing to hear your voice and wishe you would phone.

I've been frantically busy; not aided and abetted by having Mara here, on heat. Couldn't refuse to take her, but feel it's a slight imposition. Inger came back with Finn, on Wednesday, which was great. The doctors in Copenhagen felt there was nothing they could do before the baby's birth, as the stitches would probably burst during the birth, with the pressure.

But that scene is getting me down somewhat, partly because of Mara, and partly because the Ns [Nielsens] are baddies with Mary, and Mary is making my life a misery. When she's sick she comes to see me to take her to the doctor, etc. It's becoming one big drag. But getting my pound of flesh by using their phone muchly when Marcelino was here and wanted to phone to Dar. So I guess it's all square, but...

Where to start? Well, today's Saturday and I had a long-ish lie in this morning. Then started tidying the house and nearly collapsed at the twins bedroom. They trotted off to the snake park, and then Phil nearly drove me mad telling me what was wrong with me and how I wouldn't treat him as an adult, he just went on and on. Then May came to offer to take him and Karim to the movies, which saved our Phil from a bloody death.

The twins are due home any minute, but at the moment all's peace. Luverly. It's been the twins half term, and during the week I had Chris with ear ache, and then Andy home with throat ache. And Marcelino hasn't helped matters by saying Andy was too thin!! So it's a vitamin orgy from now on, and me forcefeeding out poodle.

It all started happening on Tuesday when I forgot the meeting and had David standing at my doorstep at 7 p.m., sleeping bag in hand. Sans Marie, they're taking it in turns now to come up. Big panic because the committee wanted me to go to Dar. at the end of the week, to finalise matters, and I flatly refused. A) Because I had to work and had a call from Pam that Marcelino was coming on Sunday and B) I felt it was high time the Kenyans did this kind of thing and made contact with the movements themselves. So we spent the morning trotting round to various committee people , and finally fixed something up.

Wednesday morning found a letter from Philip Jackson telling me that he'd shown parts of my Somalia report to a man on the Sunday Telegraph and that if I could mug up a 2000 worder based on this, plus some pics, they might consider using it. Frankly, can't possibly see the Sunday Telegraph using it, dead against everything they peddle, but life's crazy. And anyway, now they've got a piece they can peddle round the other papers.

I couldn't get that much down on Wednesday; had a meeting at NCCK in the morning, and then the Nielsens arrived, so spent some time with them. Then had some ex-ANC stooge come, then Claudia. Was ready to scream, I can assure you! Then Inger sent a message saying would I come over and have dinner with them, but would I feed all the kids. Which I did, both. Inger had brought back oodles of herring and schnapps, another couple who had looked after the kids, was there, and it was a pretty convivial evenling.

That same day there was a big brouhaha at the university here, man mainly under attack was the Danish head of the archeology department. Police called in and they dealt with the students most brutally and University was summerally (?) closed. Found Finn and Inge absolutely ugh in their attitudes. They're so complacent; they're so kind personally, but contemplate the idea of heavily armed cops beating up students as "necessary" because sometimes the students throw stones and it's dangerous to drive past the residences and they even claim that students here are more priveleged than in Europe. No fight, don't worry; but I was astounded. Anyway, little or no work that day, but pant, pant.

Thursday evening things were a little quieter, except for Andy in bed with sore throat. But he's always easy when he's in bed, so I managed to do a fair bit of the story. That was the day the Addis thing broke; I didn't worry about you, my darl, even if you were in Addis I knew these things never really affect foreigners, so no terrible imaginings.

Friday evening I dashed into town for another meeting at NCCK (god they're beginning to bore me) and then to Mahindra to get my Somalia pics and send the whole lot off. Then home to feed the twins and just about to flop down on the bed for me afternoon kip, when Marcelino phones from the 680 to say come and get him. So I ruched into town to get him and Libombo (the guy whose radio I had fixed, remeber? He teaches at Bagamoyo). They've slept here, Phil slept in my bed and I put the two in Phil's room, after a  v. quick wipe over with a damp cloth, as it were.

What happened was that just as an OAU conference was starting its second day, someone from the Ethiopian government came and saif they'd all have to leave the next day (Friday); and told them to stay in their hotel rooms as their safety couldn't be garanteed. Which didn't phase Marcelo any, of course. He spent the whole evening going to see people in spit of the curfew; and in spite of looking Ethiopian, as he put it, he was very politely treated the 10 or 15 times he was stopped. Though he did have an official car, of course. But he says he was impressed by the behaviour and political understanding of the ordinary soldiers who stopped him He had lots to tell, which I'll recount when you come home.

We had two of the most frantic 24 hours. As usual, a mountain of shopping to do.... The two of us went for a most enjoyable meal at Lavarinis, and there Marc. indicated that my request was OK!!! I asked what he thought of the project, and he said it was interseting and as long as it was me doing it. That seemed fine. I asked straight out if they had anything against Steph, he said no, just that they knew nothing about her and would prefer not to have her involved. So I said that he should ask Khan, and he said he would.

But this of course puts me in a bit of a quandary, because Steph wants to come with me, and I'd like her to -- but feel that if I ask for her, now, it might not be well recieved, but how to explain that to Steph?

Anyway, after the most incredible rush  the whole of Saturday morning, I got them to the airport by 2.30. It was really great to see Marcelino again, he really is quite something. Going grey now, funny how quickly it happens. We had a gorgeous bottle of wine and his eyes really sparkled. He bought Pam a gorgeous necklace at Murumbi's place and left a note there for M. , with a wicked look on his face. I admired an Algerian blanket at the shop (the ones I thought were Nigerian) and Marc says some comrades are going to Algeria soon and will bring us one. Goodie. Marcelino says he is going to try and contact you in Addis, but didn't have the time, of course. But says he will still try and get hold of theose people, especially Thiam, who is expecting you to call.

Saturday evening I took the boys to the drive-in to see "Vanishing Point", which Phil was dying to see and the twins didn't mind seeing again. And today's been quiet and rainy. Tonorrow there is nothing on, so I must do Flo's stuff. Then, Tuesday Josiah's coming for this conference.

By the way, Oxfam was invited and I'm wondering what to do about it -- may take unilateral action and go there as the Oxfam rep, yes? There was not time to read the bumf to Toby, and anyway he's hardly going to come down for it. Might be quite interesting, for a couple of reasons.

Apart from having Josiah here the whole week I've also got my contact lenses thing, and a meeting on Wednesday, one of those long ones, ugh. Last one I missed Mokako or whatever his name is came and made a terrible fuja, but apparently Kip dismissed him not too politiely. That crowd is, I think, going to make more fuja; I explained to Zarina that these people are dangerous, etc. and she took my point well. But I think that after this March 21st beano I will retire gracefull from the committee. Marcelino suggested that maybe I should, now that I've (ahem!) got them on the right lines.

Also, I've got Alanah Raikes coming this weekend. Also got a letter from Marga (!) asking me if I can help some friend of hers from way back who is running a school in Kisumu or somewhere and who has run into all kinds of problems. Will do my best, but feel like putting up an "Out to lunch" sign.

I'm keeping busy, my darl. But it's never too busy to miss you, never will be. I miss you hellishly and need your constant love signals. So don't deprive me, my loove. Send them regularly and frequently; and let me know as soon as you can what your movements are and when you think you'll be home. Steph's coming on the 16th -- wouldn't it be lovely if you could come a day earlier and we could have one evening together alone? I'm so glad the plans are all going smoothly and no snags or hitches. I know you are a wizz at organisation -- but on a grand scale, hey darl? Sweetie, look after yourself and keep me warm in your heart, yes?

Your loving

Evil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-