Skip to main content

The gay map of the world

Gary was gay and in those days we were all part gay, weren't we? According to Gary one-in-four men were gay, and so I thought well, be friends, don't be prejudiced.
He took me round Madrid. "Cibeles", he said, is a gay pick up point." "The Retiro," he said: "is a gay pick up point." "Plaza Espanya," he said is a gay pick up point (in fact it is the symbolic centre of fascism in Spain) ....until my whole map of Madrid became Gary's gay map.
"How would you describe your sexuality", he asked me:
"Well, to some extent, I suppose I am polymorphously perverse." - I was taking the Mickey.
"Aha!" He said. "That means you are gay. The only place they mention that word is in the gay literature."
"Well actually", I said, (my pretentiousness still gongs back to me over the years) "I read it in a book by Freud and not the gay literature."
But what shocked me was this overlaying of maps: "Gay Brighton," "Gay Lebanon," "Gay Manchester," "Gay Cibeles." The all encompassing gay map of the world was surprising to those of us who were new to it.
Gary's flatmate was called Susan. She was a deeply pretentious Australian film director who wore black ski pants. I wish her well now. I hope she has produced many deeply pretentious and successful art films in her life.
She came home one day and Gary carefully closed the door.
Then he said to me: "I'll show you some yoga."
"Alright, let's see." I come from a family of illumined Yoga teachers and experts - Uncle Mike, Dad, David, Felicity.
And he got into a variety of Yoga positions, groaning very loudly as he did so, so that Susan would overhear.
Despite this feint on his part, Susan was not put off. I started going out with her and dropped Gary as a friend. He deserved it. But she was too freckly and Anglo-Saxon. I couldn't take it. Too close to home. When I got back to London I got rid of her. I palmed her off onto my brother's cool London crowd - the ones that can lead deeply uncool Guardian plonks by the nose.
An so Des picked up with her. The great, beautiful Des. Once Des was the King of London. And I ask myself why he took her on. Was it brotherly curiosity? In any event he quickly dumped Susan and said to me in a companionable piss in The Spice of Life Pub:
"Phil, you were well shot of her, mate."
Turned out she hated me because she adored abstract art and was incredibly irritated by the fact that I had said abstract art was funded by the CIA and that I insisted all art should be political. Well, it should, shouldn't it? In any event, it was rather an abstract reason to actively hate someone.
She came all the way back to Madrid to hate me, appearing one morning like a ghost.
"Yes" .... and I took her to the Retiro for a coffee - Hot, black and half torrecfacto, with lots of sugar.
"You are trying to put me in a good mood," she said, suspiciously. "I know you are. Is it the heat the sweetness or the caffeine?"
"Guilty as charged, Susan. Now fuck off back to Australia, please."
But Gary. Well I went to Mexico, met a Mexican, married a Mexican and then on a trip to Madrid with her met the short haired girl (the one sans earlobe) at the grotty baggage collection point in Heathrow Terminal 2.
"My wife, I said". By way of introduction.
"Really!," she said?
And heard her think: "But aren't you gay?"
Obviously Gary had made up a moving story about our "sweet parting" when I our friendship died its natural death.
"Yes, really," I said, looking longingly at her other untouched earlobe.
So I have thought of Gary and sometimes wonder what he is up to. I invited him to a meal with my parents in the Plaza Mayor before I left Spain. They were very accepting. The Ribeiro was excellent and went very well with the fish. Gary was my friend and he did open my eyes to many things and to an unfamiliar gay topography I was unaware of, and I thank him for that.
So I am not surprised Lebanon is "gay" and Shakespeare is "gay." There is the layering effect of reality that puts maps upon maps upon maps, and that ....well that's alright.

Comments

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhh................ I am waiting for someone to repair a misbehaving appliance, and was getting close to tearing hair out in frustration -- the bod being an hour late, at this point -- when I found your new post. . . Thank you, it's so funny and ingeniously written that I've become the equivalent of a whole audience rolling in the aisles laughing. . . Identity politics in our time. Is _anything_ madder?

    The last post was also magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It was Gary's faked groans of ecstasy that got my goat.

    Hope your appliance behaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that is a very beautiful piece of writing, Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paul - I doubt Susan or Gary will appreciate it, though. Maybe they could post a response here if they are out there googling. I actually had quite a nice holiday in Alicante with Gary. I suppose Alicante is a gay town too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wordnerd700:18

    I'm seconding that opinion of Paul's -- which also applies to your last post. I've had to sit on my hands to not ramble on about the close equivalents in my experience, going back to childhood ... You can practically smell the exhaust fumes in your telling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous17:34

    Phil, what do you mean once? Des.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK Des, You are still the King of London.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-