Skip to main content

Clubbing in Mogadiscio

Haji, a thin, bearded watchman in his 80s, rests. His bed is carefully placed within the solid shadow cast by broad glossy green leaves - between a tree trunk and a high wall.

People who want to drive in or out of the compound toot their horn in front of the gates and then they must wait.

Haji lies still. Is he alive?

...
.
Yes. Thank God. He stirs; from the shadows one leg swings out, another follows. Haji gets off his bed and shuffles towards the doors. Reaching the doors, his arms shaking, he extracts a key out from between the folds of his robe. Comically, he tries to fumble the key into the lock - scrapes metal.

He doesn't allows anyone to help him. If you are in a desperate hurry, then too bad. You do as my mother did:

Wait. Bite your lip. Grit your teeth. Stamp your feet. Give the wheel a thump. Say: "Jesus! Now I am really going to be late."

Haji finds the lock, turns it open, swings each panel of the palace gate open.

Call out: "Thank you Haji" and be careful not to knock him over as revving, you and your car bolt out into the sunshine. Haji smiles and waves you away. Haji, with a trembling panga raised above his head, is a fearsome sight.

It was a smooth drive down to the disused beach house set aside as the UN beach club. The buildings and walls on the way are painted white and shine painfully. There isn't much traffic. On the left is the ocean. The sea wall lining the Mogadiscio promenade has square posts set into it at intervals, and crumbling fasci symbols are moulded onto them in plaster.

"They should keep those fasci symbols," says dad in passing, "...to help them remember the history of the Italian occupation."

* * *

There were few places to go in Mogadiscio and so, in a spirit of communal solidarity, Dad had decided to repair the beach house, to condition it and help make it into a social centre for the hard working NGO staff. The son of a good hotelier, one of his sayings was: 'Maintenance is next to Godliness'. He set about repairing the building.

Every day, whenever he could, he went down to the old Italian house above the beach to fix it up. When I arrived he asked me if I would like to help and so we set about re-plastering the pillars that held up the roof of the veranda and began repainting it. The pillars were not smoothly plastered, but they were evenly plastered. The colour dad chose was a restful shade of mocha cream - I don't think there was really much of a choice.

I had to leave to go back to study for my language degree, but the next time I visited I mentioned the club.

Dad explained.

"It was quite nice for a while" he said. Everyone was very pleased. "We went from time to time for about a month and sat on the veranda, drinking cool drinks, relaxing and enjoying the view.
.
"Once, though, about a month ago, we were relaxing, looking at the children playing in the surf, when one of the boys screamed. We thought it was just a jellyfish or a sea urchin, but we all saw the water turn red." "It was shocking how quickly it changed colour." added mom.
.
"In any event," said dad, "a tiger shark had taken a big bite out of the boy's calf. He was put into someone's car and rushed to hospital. We don't know if he lived. Everyone was quite shaken by the experience and, for a while, no-one went down to the club."
.
"It was the Russians fault," said mom. "They made a bloody great hole in the reef to let their submarines through and let the sharks in."
.
"The sharks are attracted inshore by the waste which pours into the sea from the government slaughterhouse further up the coast, " Said dad.

"Let's go see it, never mind all that," I said.
.
"Well, I am afraid it's not that nice any more." said dad. "I cajoled the two club watchmen into helping me, but after the incident with the shark and the boy and there was a lull and people stopped going.
.
"Then I heard through the grapevine that late at night someone was organising big drunken parties there. The watchmen might have had something to do with it. The landlord was probably getting a kickback and so there was nothing we could do to stop it. I went to the club then and saw some shady characters hanging around and saw several women who looked like prostitutes. I went to have a word with the landlord, but he must have cut a deal. He didn't want to hear my objections."
.
"They obviously liked what you did to the place, dad." I said. That's why they moved in.
.
After ten years working for the ILO and commuting back and forth to refugee camps in Hargeisa, mom left for another assignment in Harare. Dad ended his contract with the UNDP too, in order to follow mom. But he stayed behind to pack everything up, organise the move and settle their accounts. He then also left. Bodies of the victims of the clan fighting were just beginning to wash up on shore.

A year on, in their house in Harare I asked Dad. "Whatever happened to the UN beach club in the end."
.
"Sad." he said. "But the last I heard of it was that it was taken over by a local Somali warlord." "Of course we have no idea what happened to Haji. But do you remember Abdi Osman," asked dad. "Mom's Somali assistant?"
.
"Yes, of course. That pipe smoking guy."
.
"Well, we heard from friends that he was stopped in the streets by armed men. They took him out of the car and they shot him."
.
"My God." I said.
.
"Yes. He was a member of the wrong clan, so they killed him - right there, in the street."
.
"But there is an even a darker side to this story."
.
"Do you remember mom's Somali counterpart?"
.
"Of course. She was like all the people you ever meet of that kind. Glamorous, cosmopolitan. Her father had been an ambassador and she travelled round the world."
.
"Well he became one of the warlord's enforcers." Said dad. "We suspect he might even have had something to do with Abdi's Osman's death. They even knew each other socially. He probably felt obliged to off him as a sort of proof of loyalty, or something along those lines."
.
"He seemed so urbane and civilised." I commented.
.
"Some people can surprise you in situations like this can't they? You never know what to expect. Perhaps the situation demanded it of him" said dad. "Perhaps he had to do it. But some say he acted with gusto."
.
Silence.
.
"Whatever happened to young Abdi. Mom's driver? He was almost her adopted son. At least he adopted her. Mr marvellous, Mr fix it. He was great."
..
"We think he might have gone to Yemen," said dad, "but the truth is we'd rather not know."
.
* * *
.
Years later, when Google map was invented I looked for an aerial view of the compound - and found it. The compound is still there to the top right of the stadium. You can see Haji's gate. It's what looks like a long white rectangle. Mom and Dad's house was first at the back of the compound and then at the back on the right. Or perhaps I'm wrong and it's the compound immediately in fromt of the stadium in which case Mom and Dad's old house has been demolished.

Comments

  1. Anonymous14:04

    Hi Phil,

    I so so loved this!

    Of course, I know this to be a memoir but you could have well won the Man Booker Prize for multicultural fiction and it would have served you right.(referring to older posts in the Guardian). :-)

    regards
    Suzan Abrams

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very sweet Susan. Ditto, I say. Where are you off to next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous14:14

    All true, Phil.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't have said.

    I'm returning to Tanzania but this time, I'll be mostly up in Arusha. I'll be spending some time at the safari parks and hopefully, some good fiction will come out of it.
    I will be in Dar as I've got to retrieve my luggage and look for a friend. I know I'll think of you the moment a taxi I'm in, zooms along Upanga Road.

    Suzan Abrams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I used to go to school in Arusha. So think of me there too. Are you going to Moshi? The views from Moshi of Kilimanjaro are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous15:03

    Oh yes, oh yes, Phil. Moshi. I know what you mean about the views. I did manage to visit for a short while but this time it's for a longer period and with more indepth observations.
    I'll drop you notes Phil and will look out for anything you want me to.

    Suzan Abrams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous15:04

    Oh sorry Phil, I meant to say that the short while meant... when I was there, last February.

    Suzan Abrams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phew ..... terrible, truly terrible. All the more shocking for the contrast between the horrors of old styles of violence and enmity and the peaceful visions of a father painting the clubhouse with his boy and the drinks on the veranda.

    People who know the world outside the prosperous west as you and I and Suzan do are keenly aware that, yes, such things have happened, do happen, and always will happen, in other parts of the planet ... But how many without our experiences can identify with what you've written about so well in this entry?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking the trouble Wordy.

    My father believed in the reality of what he called the inotic and that the exotic the was illusory and I agree with him.

    I think we can identify with anyone - but one would probably need more background and build up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that we _can_ ... but so few make the effort, don't you think? ... As you say, it's partly a problem of a lack of background.

    Forgot to say earlier that your ironic headline for this entry is brill.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-