Skip to main content

The Spanish Tree

Last year My friends and I adopted a tree in Hyde Park. It was a very, very big tree. I don't know what kind. Seven of us used to sit around it using the gaps between the roots as chairs. My whole social life revolved around this tree. It's not that crazy.There is a logic behind what we did.

Most of us were Spanish speakers from the Spanish School in Portobello road. If you take the 52 to Victoria then Portobello leads to Notting Hill, then you go down one big road and you are in Kensington. There is a corner of Hyde Park in Kensington and our tree was on that corner next to the entrance.

We were at that tree the whole year round. It didn't matter if it was raining or snowing. We were there. The coldest day I have experienced in my life I was at that tree.

In fact, on that day, the park was closed. The police came and asked us what we were doing there? Everyone else was warm at home or in a shopping centre but we couldn't leave the tree.

We would stay by the tree chatting anything and everything when one of us would say. I'm hungry. I am going to get a burger. Does anyone want something? Then everyone would make their order as if he or she was a waiter and half an hour later he would stagger back with our order.

There is always someone who throws their rubbish and leaves it in the park so I would gather it all up and then find a bin and get rid of it.

There was one time when we came to our tree and found a man bare chested, lashing himself with a branch shouting This is better than sex. Next to the tree there was a pond with a bandstand and there is never anything on there. But one day we heard strange music and walked to the bandstand and saw a thousand dancing Scottish people playing bagpipes and dancing in kilts.

On another occasion our group decided we would give free hugs to everybody. I even hugged a dog and a baby. We held out little placards and anyone who passed who wanted a hug, got one. The Chinese were more reserved and ignored us. In the end we shifted to High Street Kensington and after three or four hours we must have hugged hundreds of people.

ON another day, my friend Carmen and I decided to hunt ducks. We went to the pond and saw that the lifesaver had been taken off its stand. We just took the lifesaver with its cord and tried to hunt ducks with it. The ducks just paddled away and ignored us.

Near the tree Hyde Park is usually green. When you are in England the green seems wet and fresh, but in Zaragoza where I come from they have to water the plants constantly. In Zaragoza it doesn't rain often. I don't particularly like the rain but I like the feeling of lush green and you see a big difference when you fly over Spain and England. In Spain you see brown and mountains. But there don't seem to be any mountains in England.

I decided to do an artwork based on a picture Fer. took of Paula and I. Our heads are together, my hair is orange and we are looking to camera. Around us is the lush green of Hyde Park. I used this picture because it reminds me of last year and our tree and everything that happened around the tree. 

By Nuria Prat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aerogramme from Lisa and Richard

To: Mr & Mrs J. Hall, Box 49 Eikenhof (TVL) Johannesburg Afrique du Sud. 28.3.76 Dear John and Nola, Today a week ago we were still in New Delhi with Eve and Tony and the boys and the whole thing looks like a dream. We arrived on the 28.2 in New Delhi and were happy to see the whole family fit and in good health. The boys have grown very much, Phil is just about the size of Tony and the twins are above average. We stayed untill the 22nd March, as our visa ran out and we did not want to go through all the ceremony of asking for an extension. It also got hotter and I don't know how I would have supported the heat. The extra week would also have passed, so we decided not to go to all the trouble with the authorities and leave on the 22nd. I cannot tell you how happy we have been to see such a lovely family, so happy and united. It is rare to experience sucha thing and we have both all the reasons to be proud of them (when I say goth I mean you and us ). There is su

Guardian: Kate Harding's reactionary censorious blog on CiF

It should go without saying... ....that we condemn the scummy prat who called Liskula Cohen : "a psychotic, lying, whoring ... skank" But I disagree with Kate Harding , (in my view a pseudo blogger), posting her blog in the Guardian attacking bloggers. It's a case of set a thief to catch a thief. The mainstream media is irritated by bloggers because they steal its thunder and so they comission people like Kate Harding , people with nothing to say for themselves, apparently, other than that they are feminists, to attack bloggers. I'm black. So I can legitimately attack "angry white old men". I'm a feminist, so I have carte blanche to call all anonymous bloggers "prats." Because yes, that is her erudite response to bloggers. No I don't say that the blogging medium can't be used to attack progressives in whatever context. Of course it can. But to applaud the censorship of a blogger by a billion dollar corporate like Google, and moreov

Guardian books blog fringe: Norman Mailer

FLASHING THE GUARDIAN -- A BOOKS BLOGGERS' REBELLION :  The unheroic censor with a death wish Part 1: In which Norman Mailer stars in an experiment in search engine optimisation By ACCIACCATURE 3 February 2009 When Norman Mailer died in 2007, informed opinion – in the blogosphere, people who had read at least two of his books – was split. The army of readers who saw him as one of the most despicable misogynists writing fiction in the 20th century was perfectly matched by warriors on the other side, who raged that the label wasn’t just unwarranted but tantamount to heinous calumny. Before commenters returned to bitching-as-usual, tempers were lost on literary sites all over the net in debating temperatures high enough to bring to mind tiles burning off space shuttles re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. After I'd agreed to a spontaneous suggestion by our good friend Sean Murray -- a pioneer and stalwart of the comments section of The Guardian’s books blog – that we re-